Published: 21 April 2015 21 April 2015
Hits: 1127 1127
Delta Middle School Community Council Minutes
September 4, 2012
Those in attendance:
Samantha Jeffery- Chair
Lisa Draper-Vice Chair
Welcome: Mrs. Rebecca Callister
- It was voted that Samantha Jeffery be elected Chair, and Lisa Draper be the Vice-Chair.
Review of Delta Middle School Improvement Plan for the 2012-2013 School Year / Improvement Plan.
The School Improvement Plan for this year was reviewed. Current programs and Practices were a discussed. These topics included: Reading, Math, Extended Language Arts period for 7th and 8th grade and music as well as parent involvement.
- The question was raised by Samantha Jeffery as to why 6th grade students have to take music their 6th grade year, because the cost of renting instruments. It was explained that music offers the Fine Arts component of the 6th grade curriculum, and students who could not financially pay for an instrument could choose to take chorus, or work out arrangements with the band/orchestra teacher. The council agreed that music was a favorable addition to the 6th grade curriculum.
- Jennifer Nielson was very impressed with the 2 hour Language Arts extension. She extremely satisfied and excited about the writing projects that is already accomplishing.
- The council determined that something extra should be done for math once USTAR funding is gone.
- Goretty discussed her concern about getting Hispanic parents more involved in our programs and practices. As a council we will continue to explore more avenues to encourage and promote parent involvement.
- ESL –Santillana ESL pullout program to promote reading and writing. Twenty students are in this program. Benchmark testing will be given to determine success.
Review of Delta Middle School end of year testing:
- NWEA Spring Results include: Language Arts 89%, Math is 85%, Science is 69%.
Review of the Delta Middle School Trust Lands Proposal for 2011-2012
- Last year DMS Trust Lands had a carryover of $7,500. There was also an additional $6,000 allocated to DMS Trust Lands. Utah Write, My Access and Accelerated Reader were also purchased for a lower cost than previous determined. Because of these circumstances there is an additional $15,000 to our Trust Lands for this year.
- It was determined by the council that this money should go towards the purchase of a mobile lab that every student may benefit from. The $15,000 will purchase approximately 24 laptops, a mobile lab cart with charging equipment and a mobile printer. The vote was unanimous for the purchase of a mobile lab.
The next Community Council Meeting is scheduled for November 13, 2012 at 2:45 and will be held in Mrs. Callister’s office.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 PM