Delta Middle School Community Council Minutes

January 29, 2013

Those in attendance:

Rebecca Callister

Samantha Jeffery-Chair

Gorrety Avelos

Jennifer Nielson

Kristen Anderson

Lisa Draper-Vice Chair

Judy Hoelzle

Colleen Atkinson

Matt Williams

Welcome: Mrs. Lisa Draper

The minutes from the November 13th Community Council Meeting were approved.

  1. 1. Data from the questionnaire provided to the teachers has been tallied and the input for next year’s School Improvement / Trustlands Plan will be discussed.
  • The top priority for the for the students will continue to be reading and written expression, students who are proficient readers will continue to improve in all other core subjects.
  • The amount of Trustland money the school will receive for the 2013/2014 school year is estimated to be between $34,000.00 - $36,000.00.
  • $5600.00 will be allocated to purchase 16 computers to add to the mobile lab. The school was able to purchase 14 with money from the 2012/2013 Trustland fund. This will enable a classroom of students to have access to the mobile lab.
  • We will continue the My Access and Utah Writes programs. The teachers feel this has been very beneficial to the students. The approximate cost for these programs is $2300.00. We will also continue with the AP Reading program. The estimated cost of this program is $2700.00.
  • We will continue with the extended LA class. The cost for the teacher is estimated to be $17,000.00. There has been positive feedback on the benefits of being able to offer this class as our focus is directed toward all students being proficient in reading and written expression.
  • We will continue to provide a stipend of $1000.00 for tech support to Mr. Crane. He provides solutions to technology problems before and after school on his own time. The amount of technology required at school is growing and will continue to grow. Technology has become an important component in all areas of the school. We feel there is a strong need for additional technical support.
  • In order for our testing to be scheduled in a way that will benefit the teachers and students, we will put a committee of core subject teachers together to provide input on scheduling. The resource teachers will be included in the committee as well. They will be paid a stipend of $20.00 per hour to work on this committee. This will include the fall, winter, and spring NWEA testing. We will also need a coordinator to put the scheduling in place, get computers ready, and get all of the make- up testing completed. The coordinator will receive a stipend of $200.00. The estimated cost of the testing committee is $1400.00.
  • A suggestion was made, to provide a variety of supplies for purchase and a teacher to assist students in a room after school two days a week. Many of the students don’t have the support at home to enable them to complete assignments they need for class. Mrs. Callister will talk to Mr. Bassett and see if there is any funding through the District before we decide to pursue providing funding for this through Trustland funds.
  • The remainder of the money would be allocated for technology needs, reading books, and classroom supplies.
  • Mrs. Callister will write the School Improvement/Trustland plan and e-mail the members of the community council a copy. We will then schedule a meeting to approve the plan.
  1. 2. Student safety issues were discussed, Mrs. Callister had members of the Sherrif’s department at our faculty meeting last week. They provided the teachers with information on student safety and steps the school could take to help ensure the safety of all students. There will be an article in the February newsletter to inform the parents of changes. We will keep all outside doors, except the front entrance locked during school hours. Visitors, volunteers, cadet teachers and substitute teachers will be required to sign in and out and will be provided with a visitor’s pass to wear while they are in the school. We will be having drills to train the students on various emergency situations.
  2. 3.There has been a safety issue with high school students driving too fast and not stopping for pedestrians on the street in front of the Middle School. Mrs. Callister has asked for police officers to patrol this area more frequently and has asked the High School to announce to the students to take care while driving on this street. We are also looking into having our crosswalk repainted.
  3. 4.It was also suggested by our committee that we might be able to provide better student incentives for students participating in science fairs, AP reading, etc. They feel there might be more interest for students in completing these projects according to the directions given if there was such an incentive.

The next meeting will be scheduled after the members have read the School Improvement/Trustland plan for the 2013/2014 school year.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:30 PM