Fillmore Middle School Community Council
Minutes for December 12, 2016
Meeting called to order at 3:25 by Cynthia Rhodes
Request made for all members to receive prior meetings minutes in advance – Merlynn will email them to all members along with reminders before meetings.
School Improvement Plan statistics for last year - Percentage goals on tests
- 60% writing (ELA) – actual 55%
- 58% math
- 55% science
Currently at or above all projected goals - except writing (55%)
Leave goals as they are. Raise science goal to 58%
- Continue with math Olympiad, science Olympiad.
- Writing – students are writing articles for the Mustang newsletter as well as having their writings submitted to the Chronicle Progress for publication.
- Jr. Honor Society – 8th grade numbers are lower than we would like – 1st trip done. 2nd chance to come back in the spring so they can go on that NHS trip.
- 2nd trip held in spring –late Feb. early Mar.
- Continuing online programs (IXL, math, Utah compose, ALEXS)
- Also a writing component available with ALEXS.
- Enhance students’ use of technology.
- Resources: Anti-bullying program. Mrs. Lawhorn, Mr. Larsen will teach in advisory – Mrs. Holt will teach 5th / 6th graders.
- 1 mobile lab - $13,000 – library placement – available in library for research, AR testing, or to be checked out to classrooms. (PCCR)
- Supplemental Instruction materials - $6,000 – Teachers are happy with products currently being used. PCCR - (IXL, story works, math / science, ALEXS,)
- Honor society $1,000 – Saved money by dropping national affiliation – includes teacher registration, travel costs, entry fees. (PCCR)
- Teacher prep - $10,000 – will be a yearly increase – purchasing teacher prep time to teach Spanish. Can add additional section of US studies if preferred.
- 2nd Step - $2,000 – Do we want to add a step – Anti bullying, positive self-image
- 3 hour Art Aide – $9,000 – May exceed budget – depends on legislation passing.
- Tie needs assessment in to PCCR
- Mrs. Sheriff will cover PCCR in classes
- Look into UESP, Step-Up Utah to set up at PCCR (brochures, etc.)
Not enough members present for a vote
Look over proposal and at next meeting have ideas or changes ready.
Suggestion – go to SAFE UTAH website and look at the program – UNI – anonymous reporting. Anything from bullying, abuse, suicide prevention, etc. includes ideas for involving the community.
Meeting adjourned 3:55
Next meeting on January 10th @ 3:00 in the Media center.